Bits & pieces...
No, I'm not talking about the new milkshakes at Steak 'n Shake (Mari will be highly disappointed), although they are good. There's just been a few very interesting factoids I've found and events happeing recently that haven't been mentioned yet, and I thought they would go well in one odd post.
Factoids-
#1: Mari has recently been on the search for different grocery items that are lacking in high fructose corn syrup. Oddly enough, this is a more difficult task than it may seem. (Mari has decided that this is more of a challege than a curiosity...he may even be taking it a bit personally...and believe me, it makes for some very funny grocery runs!)
That said, I visited my fav food blog today, and much to my happiness, there was an article about afore-mentioned dietary issue: The Fanatic Cook on HFCS.
If you liked that, check out...
#2: this post of hers: Sleep & Your Weight. The arguments are compelling for us younger ones with years (not to mention health worries) ahead of them. It may also help to explain why people just tend to get softer 'round the middle as they get older. I mean, we've all heard it said that the older you get "you just need less sleep". Maybe they don't need less sleep, but they get used to having less. *shrug* Any thoughts?
#3: Our red couch has finally come in. Mari & I are going to the store tomorrow to hopefully figure something out. For those of you not eagerly awaiting the arrival of the couch, it's been almost 3 full months: 4/13-7/7. Needless to say, we're a little irked. (yes, Maurenis, that means you can come see it soon!)
Other News:
Claudia is back from Japan. She brought me a kimono, some bamboo «chaussons» (I know that's French, but "house shoes" just doesn't sound as cool). I also got this really cool cell phone decoration: it's Hello Kitty in kimono! ^_^ The pièce de résistance: Mari has Mario & Luigi key-chains! If that wasn't funny enough, he also got 3 which make Mario noises: one jumps, one swims, and the other makes that noise that happens when you go down a pipe. They're hilarious!
(I'm sure some of you were confused by that, but that's ok. :) Amuse me!)
Factoids-
#1: Mari has recently been on the search for different grocery items that are lacking in high fructose corn syrup. Oddly enough, this is a more difficult task than it may seem. (Mari has decided that this is more of a challege than a curiosity...he may even be taking it a bit personally...and believe me, it makes for some very funny grocery runs!)
That said, I visited my fav food blog today, and much to my happiness, there was an article about afore-mentioned dietary issue: The Fanatic Cook on HFCS.
If you liked that, check out...
#2: this post of hers: Sleep & Your Weight. The arguments are compelling for us younger ones with years (not to mention health worries) ahead of them. It may also help to explain why people just tend to get softer 'round the middle as they get older. I mean, we've all heard it said that the older you get "you just need less sleep". Maybe they don't need less sleep, but they get used to having less. *shrug* Any thoughts?
#3: Our red couch has finally come in. Mari & I are going to the store tomorrow to hopefully figure something out. For those of you not eagerly awaiting the arrival of the couch, it's been almost 3 full months: 4/13-7/7. Needless to say, we're a little irked. (yes, Maurenis, that means you can come see it soon!)
Other News:
Claudia is back from Japan. She brought me a kimono, some bamboo «chaussons» (I know that's French, but "house shoes" just doesn't sound as cool). I also got this really cool cell phone decoration: it's Hello Kitty in kimono! ^_^ The pièce de résistance: Mari has Mario & Luigi key-chains! If that wasn't funny enough, he also got 3 which make Mario noises: one jumps, one swims, and the other makes that noise that happens when you go down a pipe. They're hilarious!
(I'm sure some of you were confused by that, but that's ok. :) Amuse me!)


Huh, that sleep one is interesting. ("Just great", he thinks, after 6 hours of sleep)
HFCS is old news to me, and probably due to US sugar tariffs and direct corn subsidies. I don't know if it's that much worse for health than any other added sugar (like "fruit juice concentrate"), but it could be worth avoiding environmentally. And see my "They're Made Out Of Corn" entry --
http://mindstalk.livejournal.com/15403.html
Hey, I'm a teacher, not a techie. Any html other than how to post a weblink is beyond me!