Mixed Berry Almond Cake
aka "Yummy"!!! -Mari
This recipie I found in the newspaper. (Yeah, I know, I'm sounding repetitive, but when you don't have TV, then you find other ways of entertaining yourself...) Every Wednesday there are at least 4 recipies that I dream of trying. Well, every now & then I do, although they're usually the more healthy sounding ones. ;) But this one I just couldn't resist...
Mixed Berry Almond Cake
(Preparation 20 minutes, baking 50 to 55 minutes)
Ingredients:
7-ounce package almond paste, grated
1 cup sugar
10 tablespoons (1 stick and 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups mixed blueberries and raspberries
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
2 Add almond paste, sugar and butter to a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
4 Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to almond mixture and beat until just combined. Pour 2 1/4 cups of batter into prepared pan, gently smoothing to edges.
5 Evenly sprinkle berries across batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with almonds.
6 Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7 Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Gently slide a knife around inside edge of pan and release springform circle. Lightly dust with confectioners' sugar. Finish cooling on rack or serve slightly warm. This cake is equally delicious served cold.
Makes one 9-inch cake.
Recipe from Andre Prost Inc., Odense Almond Paste.
I hope you like it! (Mari just raves about it!)

This recipie I found in the newspaper. (Yeah, I know, I'm sounding repetitive, but when you don't have TV, then you find other ways of entertaining yourself...) Every Wednesday there are at least 4 recipies that I dream of trying. Well, every now & then I do, although they're usually the more healthy sounding ones. ;) But this one I just couldn't resist...
Mixed Berry Almond Cake
(Preparation 20 minutes, baking 50 to 55 minutes)
Ingredients:
7-ounce package almond paste, grated
1 cup sugar
10 tablespoons (1 stick and 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups mixed blueberries and raspberries
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
--------
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9-inch springform pan.
2 Add almond paste, sugar and butter to a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
Note: Be sure to know that "almond paste" does not refer to "almond pastry filling". The grocery store has both kinds, and the Pure Almond Paste is really what you're looking for.3 Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
I didn't actually grate it, but it is a very hard substance to use in a mixer! I would suggest at least chopping it up into smaller bits, it'll help a lot when using the mixer. "Smooth" here is a relative term...just mix until paste is more smooth than chunky, it'll be fine. (And mixture is very thick, definately a job for the more sturdy beaters.)
4 Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to almond mixture and beat until just combined. Pour 2 1/4 cups of batter into prepared pan, gently smoothing to edges.
5 Evenly sprinkle berries across batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with almonds.
Note: I used blueberries and strawberries because I didn't want to spend the extra money on the rasberries. I'm sure it turned out a bit differently than intended, but what can I say? We really like strawberries! Even without the extra almonds, there is plenty of almond flavor. So if you don't want to spend the extra dough (ha, ha) or time on almond slivers, I understand!
6 Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.7 Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Gently slide a knife around inside edge of pan and release springform circle. Lightly dust with confectioners' sugar. Finish cooling on rack or serve slightly warm. This cake is equally delicious served cold.
Makes one 9-inch cake.
Recipe from Andre Prost Inc., Odense Almond Paste.
I hope you like it! (Mari just raves about it!)

