Monroe Co. Fair
It's that time of year again! The cows are mooing, the sheep are baaaing, and the rabbits are doing all they can to stay cool. Last night was our annual visit to the fair. (It's just not the same when you're a visitor and not a participant, but it's still fun.) Mari, his dad, and I met up with my sister and two of her friends to see what we could see and see what we could eat!
Corn on the cob, lemon shake-ups, and (of course).....

Most of you probably wouldn't think of tacos as part of a fair tradition, but they are for us Bloomintonites. No kidding. The meat is really juicy (probably a lot of fat) with lots of taco seasoning, tons of lettuce, tomatos, cheese...and of course the buttermilk ranch salad dressing.
Hey! Don't knock it until you try it. Honest, it's good!! I didn't think it would be when I first heard about it, either. Think about it, though. You put sour cream on your tacos, and that's a milk product, so it's not as far fetched as you thought! :)
Anyway, if your fair hasn't come yet, hope your corn on the cob is as good as mine was...and eat a tenderloin for me!! (I was too full after my taco salad...) :(
P.S. I'm sorry I couldn't add a link for you to learn more about our fair. It was sad, really, b/c the best one I could find was here. We really do have a great fair (here's directions), with an outstanding 4-H program. If you want to learn more about 4-H, check out their homepage. (It's my understanding that this program for kids & teens isn't nearly as popular in other states, which is really too bad.) :(
Corn on the cob, lemon shake-ups, and (of course).....
TACO SALAD!!

Most of you probably wouldn't think of tacos as part of a fair tradition, but they are for us Bloomintonites. No kidding. The meat is really juicy (probably a lot of fat) with lots of taco seasoning, tons of lettuce, tomatos, cheese...and of course the buttermilk ranch salad dressing.
Hey! Don't knock it until you try it. Honest, it's good!! I didn't think it would be when I first heard about it, either. Think about it, though. You put sour cream on your tacos, and that's a milk product, so it's not as far fetched as you thought! :)
Anyway, if your fair hasn't come yet, hope your corn on the cob is as good as mine was...and eat a tenderloin for me!! (I was too full after my taco salad...) :(
P.S. I'm sorry I couldn't add a link for you to learn more about our fair. It was sad, really, b/c the best one I could find was here. We really do have a great fair (here's directions), with an outstanding 4-H program. If you want to learn more about 4-H, check out their homepage. (It's my understanding that this program for kids & teens isn't nearly as popular in other states, which is really too bad.) :(


wow... the memories Monroe Co. Fair brings back... 10 years of memories...behind the 4-H scenes w/ horses, cats, and rabbits. the work! competition & ribbons! and life lessons learned... :) the heat!!! THE MEMORIES!!! & yes, annual treats: corn on the cob dripping w/ butter, the famous taco salad, and ANYTHING cold to drink!!! wouldn't trade a moment of it. love you! Mom
Yeah, all the memories...
But like I said, I don't enjoy it nearly as much as when we were all a part of the happenings. I guess there's something to all the hustle and bustle, nerves before the show, the friends everywhere in the crowd, how refreshing it is to walk down main street at 7pm and being thankful it's "cooling off" when it hits 90 degrees...and watching all the "civilian" visitors sweating like mad! ;)
Ahh, yes, those were the days...