01 août 2006

Summer Lessons

Not too much has been going on yet this week. But I guess that's why people have "Monday Blues". So I thought this might be a good opportuntiy to do a summary of a weekly event Mari & I were involved in this summer.

Swing Club is every Monday night, so we, of course, were in attendance. This keeps us busy, helps us avoid our Monday Blues, and gives us an excuse to exersice! But this summer club has been a bit different for us: we were the ones giving the summer lesson series! I really enjoyed it.

Mari & I teach at the Waldron on Thursdays (when there are enough people signed up for the class to have it), but we're always teaching "beginning swing"...which means East Coast over and over again (we've got this down to a science!). We were successful in having one session of "intermediate swing" (aka Lindy Hop) about a year and a half ago, but that was the only time we'd taught Lindy together. And I love Lindy: it and Charleston have got to be my favorite dances.

Anyway, the lesson series for club this summer included 5 weeks ECS, 6 weeks Lindy. I think it went fairly well. There were a two or three people in the class who I think had taken the lessons before with the other couple who teach, but all the rest were new. We had an average attendance of 10-12 people every night (with I think 16 regularly during ECS), and they were very consistant in attendance, which is unusual! lol But I was very happy at the progression and improvement of their technique and confidence in themselves...especially with Lindy Hop. That dance has so many elements to it that it can be a bit overwhelming for beginners, but this group did really well.

We took it kind of slow in the beginning, really focused a few key techniques, and then built upon them with each move that we learned during the class. In fact, we were even able to attempt two moves in the last week that I consider to be a bit more of intermediate level: they really depend on good frame and good lead/follow skills to make the moves successful. There is, of course, still work to be done (and confidence to be gained), but for 6 weeks, I think they were awsome! :)

I thought I would post some pictures of the class. (These were all taken last night and the week before.) It's just so great to watch people learning something that you are teaching them, and they understand it! Mari & I passed out evaluation forms, too. I look forward to showing them to the officers at the next meeting! :)