26 août 2006

The verdict is out:

Pluto is NOT a planet!!
No, this isn't some sort of weird April Fool's joke. I'm totally serious!

Remember all of those vague reasons and definitions why people thought that we should add planets to our official list? Well, turns out those brainy scientists at their meeting decided to come up with totally different definitions of what a planet is...which, this time, excluded Pluto! Can you believe it?? I'm shocked. Totally didn't see that one coming.

I guess it might make sense...if you think about it? I mean, when you were in school and your science teacher informed you that Pluto was odd because it wasn't made like the other planets (more ice and dust than "solid" planet) and that it had a very different orbit from all the rest, weren't you thinking, "Then are they sure it's a planet? Are they sure it really belongs to our solar system?" I was! But all the same, that'll be weird for a while...

I could go on more about this, but #1) you might not be interested; #2 there will be more info to come from this meeting of great minds, so I'm gonna choose to wait to give more than just 2 cents worth until I understand more. ;) But, if you are just dying to read the definitions voted upon and approved, you can go back to that Bad Astronomy blog and read more for yourself. In the mean time....
It's a whole new universe out there! Have fun!