Craving
I'm not sure how to say that in French. Tried to look it up, but not sure I like the translations I've been able to find so far.
When I searched the verb (to crave) I got "avoir envie de" = to have a desire for [more or less]
and when I searched "craving" the noun I got was "soif", which is a word used for thirst. I'm not extremely thirsty at the moment, but I do have a craving.
So what does one do? Plead & beg online hoping that some wonderful native speaker will tell you what they would say when one has a specific desire to consume a particular food or beverage that no other substitute will quite satisfy.
Anyone? ^^;
When I searched the verb (to crave) I got "avoir envie de" = to have a desire for [more or less]
and when I searched "craving" the noun I got was "soif", which is a word used for thirst. I'm not extremely thirsty at the moment, but I do have a craving.
So what does one do? Plead & beg online hoping that some wonderful native speaker will tell you what they would say when one has a specific desire to consume a particular food or beverage that no other substitute will quite satisfy.
Anyone? ^^;


i will make it my linguistic mission this afternoon to find the translation you seek.
ok, scratch that. change it from this afternoon to this week.
Hi petite Americaine.
So far, I would say that this word cannot be summarized in a single word in french.
The most convenient expressions would be : "besoin compulsif" or "envie maladive" and they are not necessary to be employed for food butapply to any sort of insatiable envy to get something (new shoes, drug, big mac... whatever).
In france there is an old cliche that pregnant women are craving for strawberries (even/especially when it's not the appropriate season)
Could you possibly expect such nice event ? :-P
Sincerely,
the masked olive (a.k.a Céline's husband).
Oh, no!! Don't jinx me! lol While I'd love to have a child one day, that day has not yet come for me or Mari. Too much to do to devote the time & energy a precious little one deserves.
We have a funny cliché here in the states, too...although ours has to do with ice cream & pickles. Apparently it's quite common for women to have a craving for this odd (but supposedly good) combination of food. Who knew?!
So, how would you say this??
«La femme enceinte a une envie maladive pour les fraises» ? I'm so curious! ^.^
so, you have your translation, but we still don't know what you are craving!!! let us in on the secret girl!! i am going nuts over here!
correct !
When reading it, I wonder if the best translation would not be "envie frénétique" which means a frantic envy.
kisses from France.
The masked Olive
M Olive:
Yes, I do happen to like a "frantic desire" much more than a "morbid" one. ;) I think I'll stick with that.
Merci BEAUCOUP pour toute votre aide. Je souhaite que je puisee utiliser ma langue favorite plus que j'en ai des opportunités. Malheureusement, il n'y a pas assez d'américains qui comprennent la beauté du français. :( Vennez plus souvent, SVP!! (Et dites «salut» à Céline.) ^.^
Sparrow:
I'm almost ashamed to admit what it was I was craving. It's even sometimes rather controversial. *sigh* Alright, I'll say it...fish planks from Long John Silvers.
How silly, right? But I was. No, I'm not pregnant, I just occationally get wierd cravings. It's how I am. ^^; Welcome to me.
i understand the LJS craving. i think you explained it to me in michigan.
since M Olive and Céline appear to be French, i guess i'm off the hook for finding the traduction. :) if i think of it, i'll ask around for variants :)
Beth:
Variations are good! :D
Oh, and you "franglais"ed again. ("traduction") Definately been there too long! ;)
Souvent en français quand on dit "j'ai envie de fraises" c'est qu'on a pas envie d'autre chose! Malheureusement, je ne crois pas qu'il y ait de mot pour traduire "craving"! Ah les langues! ;)
variations are good. :)
i knew i was franglaising. i felt like it :)
beth: i have a friend who said that she knew she really knew russian when she started to dream in russian. do you dream in french?
petite: i hate LJS. we never ate there when i was a kid. i occasionally get a craving for Mr. Fables though. it was a restaraunt where i spent all my time when i was in high school. they made THE BEST cheeseburgers with katsup and extra pickles. but they closed after i graduated. at least you can go get what you crave!! tee hee!~
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.
sparrow: i think i dreamed in french more at college than i have in france. i speak too much english here. :( i've dreampt (sp?) in french . . . i can't remember how many times here, but they probably haven't been very many. i probably wouldn't have to take my socks off to count them.
mmmmmm . . . piiiiiiickllllllezzzz :)
you know what i miss?!: Mustard's. what is now the steak n shake across from the mall in bton. they had nice fried mozarella sticks and really good french onion soup. it's supper time here . . . i need to get home and heat up my lasagna!
mmmmmmm.....lasagna!!!
Maybe that's what I'll do for supper. ;)
lasagna...
hmmmm...
Garfield !!! get out of these girls bodies !
(\_/)
(°-°)
__((_))__
grrr
stupid HTML language not bearing successive blank spaces.
LOL!! Love the cute kitty, Olive!
heehee! garfield :) nice cat effort. sorry about the HTML.