10 mars 2007

La tombe de Jésus

I've debated whether or not to add this to the usual silliness of my blog. I guess I'm just amazed about what people are saying about it - and there isn't nearly as much hype & press as I had expected.

A few individuals have claimed to have found the burial tomb of Jesus...y'know, as in "the Christ". A friend of mine found this article David Van Beima from TIME Magazine online, and I love what he said when he posted it: "Yeah, you KNOW its bad when Time Magazine won't buy it." I laughed, of course (you would have to know my friend to understand why), but then I had to read the article.
"The entrance to a burial cave in southern Jerusalem is seen in this undated photo. Archaeologists and clergymen in the Holy Land derided claims in a new documentary, The Last Tomb of Christ, produced by the Oscar-winning director James Cameron, that contradict major Christian tenets."
What really amazed me is the immediate assumption that there could only have been but a handful of men named "Jesus" during the early first century. "Jesus" is actually just the Greek translation for "Joshua" & means "God with us". And Greek, along with Armenian (which was used on these tombs), was one of the most commonly spoken languages. I'm sure you could imagine how many different people would want to name their child after a national hero. The name is, naturally, still quite common today, among Jewish, Christian, and other Western populations.

There are many other arguments against the authenticity of this location as the burial place of Jesus Christ, but I won't reiterate them here. You're all obviously capable of clicking on a web link. ^.^

I guess the real reason I want to post this on here is not because I am a Believer called to defend my faith. I am not, at the moment, seeking debate, nor do I seek to offend or upset any individual, Christian or other. What I want more than anything is for everyone, Christian or not, to look objectively at the world and the evidence humans find. Let's be careful in our age of overwhelming and extremely accessible information to not assume anything presented to us in print is authentic or conclusive fact.

Let's not purposefully make evidence fit our own chosen beliefs, whatever they may be, but seek wisdom outside of our own for Truth.

0 commentaires:

<< Ã la une