Un nouveau «ami»
Mari had a new arrival the other day. Beau-frère bought him a bit of a belated birthday present. Anyone want to guess what it was? Well, I won't keep you in suspense, because the chances of you guessing a 1986 Macintosh SE are about zilch.
No, I'm not kidding. See? Here's proof!!

It works and was delivered with all the original equipment (even the worn but original box).
Now, you may be asking what in the world Mari is going to do with this small piece of antiquity (and his fourth and oldest computer). His answer?
"Dark Castle" No kidding, he's excited about this computer because now he'll be able to play one of his very favorite games. It's very noisy - lots of silly sound affects that you can hear all over the house of men groaning and little creatures screeching and taunting Mari. And, I might add, he's a bit out of practice. So now I'm wondering how many hours he'll be sitting at the second computer desk attempting to master a 20 yr old game... This could be interesting, don't you think?
Can you believe it? So silly....
"Thaaanks", beau-frère!!
No, I'm not kidding. See? Here's proof!!
Now, you may be asking what in the world Mari is going to do with this small piece of antiquity (and his fourth and oldest computer). His answer?
Can you believe it? So silly....
"Thaaanks", beau-frère!!


Haha, that's great. What every true nerd must own - an old computer :) I've almost jumped on buying old Macs before myself. Actually, I used to have one I got for free but it never worked...
I do have an old Commodore Amiga in my closet though :) (And they were way better than Macs ;) Although the Amiga is only about 15 years old, not twenty.
"S" knows of this game!! He thinks it's coool and likes it! have fun "Mari"
Pay attention to such a regression miss. Next week he'll ask you 20 buck pocket money to buy cotton candy and within 2 or 3 weeks, he'll need a feeding bottle of milk when he wakes up.
:-))
Jost kidding.
For my part, I could still play pac-man, tetris or lemmings while these games are more than 20 years old.
"c'est dans les vieux tonneaux qu'on fait le meilleur vin" (i.e. the older is the barrel, the better tastes the wine)
Have fun Mari.
the masked olive
way cool. in 1986, i was 4 years old. amusez-vous bien! (have fun!)
Well, M Olive, at least now I know it's not only in the US that boys never grow up! ;) Love the quote. I'll have to remember that one.
Y'know, I hate to admit it (b/c then Mari will find out), but there was this game my g-ma had on her old IBM. I loved to play it as a kid....only problem is I can't remember what it was called! I miss it, but only b/c it was the only video game I was ever good at. LOL!
I guess there's a bit of geekiness in all of us, eh, Ben?
Hey, I love my family's old Apple IIC that's in my room back up north--the games rock! And, let's face it, you guys still play Duck Hunt...
duck hunt is cool!!! and i would kill to be able to play the original legend of zelda. does that make me old?
Yes.
Actually, I'm pretty sure I have Zelda. :)
Speaking of games on the Apple IIc -- Spocktongue, do you remember Space Quarks? I think it was actually included with the disks that came with the computer... and it rocked! Wow, I'm going to have to get my hands on one of those, now... (Don't tell Petite -- she has this crazy idea that I've got enough useless old computers. Oops... did I say that out loud?) ;)
Unfortunately I never did have the pleasure of using an Amiga. Started out with a Commodore, though... a VIC-20 hooked up to the TV set. Yes, I had C-64 envy. But the VIC did amazing things for only having 5k of RAM! :) "Zap" was my game of choice on that one. It was typed in, line-by line, in machine language, from BYTE Magazine if I remember right. Hmmm... does the line "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" mean anything to anyone besides me??
And M Olive's comment reminds me that I've got Lemmings for Mac somewhere... I'll have to look for that!
Oh, so many classic games, so little time...
mmmmm, lemmings :) there was a game on one of my friends' computers when we were kids, but i can't remember the name - it was a helicopter rescue mission, i think. i ended up squashing a lot more than rescuing. ring any bells?
oregon trail and carmen sandiego were cool, but not as ancient as some other things, i'm guessing.
my sister got a new thing that you connect to the tv and it has pac-man and dig-dug!
Spocktongue: if by "you guys", you mean Mari, then you are correct. I suck at the game (and Mario bro's) and so receive not pleasure in the playing.
In fact, the only game from the afore mentioned list with which one could say I was "successful" was Carmen Sandiego. Why? Well, you can't die and you have to use your brain more than the keyboard (y'know, like Myst). *sigh* I'm just not a gammer.
No, Sparrow, I don't think that makes us old...just seasoned. ^^; We know what GOOD games are!
that is so freaking awesome! (Can relate, having grown up around those systems, wow. congrats man.
btw, 4th oldest? how much older does his collection get?
No, not 4th oldest! lol It's his fourth computer, and the oldest one we own. :) BTW, they're all Macs (mostly of the "older" kind).
That's right, no PC's in this household. ^.^
growing up, the man of our house once said, "MACs are computers with training wheels you can't remove." ;)
Remember when windows was th option and navigating with DOS was norm? and 2400bps was "pretty fast" while 14,400 was "woooaaaaah!!!!"? man, ok ain't got time for memory lane right now. peace yo's.
Be careful, man. Those are practically fighting words in circles I'm privilaged to! ;) lol
Windows rules--Mac drools!!! :)
I couldn't resist.
when i took a computer class when i went back to school, i was asked to write code with DOS, to make the computer do a certain task, and i was the only one in the room who knew what that meant. i had actually done it before, and i wasn't a geek!! (not that you all are geeks! tee hee!) in fact, turns out i was only like a year younger than my prof!!! none of them even knew what he was talking about. ten years makes such a difference in this sort of stuff!