Activités nouvelles
So, some new things are beginning. Hopefully they'll continue and not disappear as so many new and seemingly exciting things tend to do in life.
#1: Argentine Tango lessons
I've always loved this dance. Not for its sensualtiy, but for its poetry, the communication that takes place between partners on the dance floor. It's incredibly simple in many ways, and yet complex enough that there are infinate possibilities and ways to express yourself to the music. What really drew me to it was that it breaks from the traditional European Ballroom dances in many of the same ways that Swing (Lindy, Charleston, Balboa, etc.) does. The connection between the dancers is more important than the moves you do, because if you do not have good frame and good tension, then the entire dance, and all of the energy in it, just dies. Really, it's something you'd have to see to really understand. It's how you can tell the good dancers from those who are only doing prescribed moves. It's facinating!
Well, we started taking some lessons on Mondays because our intermediate swing on Thursdays didn't have enough people in it to run this session. We were rather bummed, b/c we don't get many opportunities to teach Lindy Hop, and there are a few students who were really excited about it. Guess we'll have to try again this summer... But until then we'll be entertaining ourselves quite well!
#2 Yoga
With my asthma, there's not a lot of aerobic exercise that I'm actually able to do. I miss being able to run my heart out like I did when I was a child. (Yes, dancing can and does bother me, but I have lots of control and none of the pressure to keep going, so it's hardly ever a problem.)
During the winter I kept wondering if there was something else I could do to keep a bit more active, work out my heart a bit and not bother my asthma. Yoga seems like a good answer to me, so now I'm equipped with a mat, block, strap, and two DVD's for hours of workouts with hopefully little repetition or bordem! All were birthday presents.
As I get time to practice I'll let you know what I think if the DVD's. All I had time for today was the intro stuff, like how to use the props (Gaiam DVD) and explanations for instructions they give during the workouts (bodywisdom DVD). So far, so good. But, if you're not very flexible (like me), let me suggest getting two yoga blocks. The kit only comes with one, which is sooo helpful it leaves me wishing I had another so I didn't have to keep repositioning it! lol
For the moment I'm just happy to be able to learn how to stretch tight and sore muscles properly. We'll go for toning and strengthening as I get more comfortable with this whole idea. ^.^
Watch out world, I'm back in action!
#1: Argentine Tango lessons
I've always loved this dance. Not for its sensualtiy, but for its poetry, the communication that takes place between partners on the dance floor. It's incredibly simple in many ways, and yet complex enough that there are infinate possibilities and ways to express yourself to the music. What really drew me to it was that it breaks from the traditional European Ballroom dances in many of the same ways that Swing (Lindy, Charleston, Balboa, etc.) does. The connection between the dancers is more important than the moves you do, because if you do not have good frame and good tension, then the entire dance, and all of the energy in it, just dies. Really, it's something you'd have to see to really understand. It's how you can tell the good dancers from those who are only doing prescribed moves. It's facinating!
Well, we started taking some lessons on Mondays because our intermediate swing on Thursdays didn't have enough people in it to run this session. We were rather bummed, b/c we don't get many opportunities to teach Lindy Hop, and there are a few students who were really excited about it. Guess we'll have to try again this summer... But until then we'll be entertaining ourselves quite well!
#2 Yoga
With my asthma, there's not a lot of aerobic exercise that I'm actually able to do. I miss being able to run my heart out like I did when I was a child. (Yes, dancing can and does bother me, but I have lots of control and none of the pressure to keep going, so it's hardly ever a problem.)
During the winter I kept wondering if there was something else I could do to keep a bit more active, work out my heart a bit and not bother my asthma. Yoga seems like a good answer to me, so now I'm equipped with a mat, block, strap, and two DVD's for hours of workouts with hopefully little repetition or bordem! All were birthday presents.
As I get time to practice I'll let you know what I think if the DVD's. All I had time for today was the intro stuff, like how to use the props (Gaiam DVD) and explanations for instructions they give during the workouts (bodywisdom DVD). So far, so good. But, if you're not very flexible (like me), let me suggest getting two yoga blocks. The kit only comes with one, which is sooo helpful it leaves me wishing I had another so I didn't have to keep repositioning it! lolFor the moment I'm just happy to be able to learn how to stretch tight and sore muscles properly. We'll go for toning and strengthening as I get more comfortable with this whole idea. ^.^
Watch out world, I'm back in action!


have fun daughter!! I enjoy doing what little yoga moves I remember.... feels like a good massage when I'm done!
I do yoga :) I try to do it every day. The nice thing is I can do one pose or 6 or 10 depending on how I feel, but I try to always do it. It's not a fancy aerobic workout or anything, but it's my little practice and it makes me feel good :) I hope you like it.
Well, so far so good. ^.^ I just wish I had more time!
I guess I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Right now: stiff, shaky, & inflexible. ;)
yoga, yo, yo, yo, ya yo-ho ga! kind of like "yoda" and "lola," only different.
5 minutes... that's it ... 5 minutes.
awesome. Argentine rocks! I was talking with some kids that just don't like it because... I forget why they said it was, but I am on a mission now to convert them from American to Argentine. Should we have a baptism ceremony as well? Or maybe can we allow a little pluralism here? hmmm.. :)
God bless you both.